Wednesday, 12 March 2014

Ten facts about ... Ed Jakubik



When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?

When I was 17 years old, my English teacher from St. Peter’s Prep pulled me aside after class and blasted me. He told me that essays and papers he witnessed me writing in bus stops on the way to school were as good as other students who dedicated weeks of time toward the same projects. He told me to stop wasting my talent. I listened.

How long does it take you to write a book?

The Doll Collector took me roughly 6 years to finish. A true labor of love.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I dedicate time every day to write, whether it’s for ten minutes of a few hours. Most of my work gets done late evenings when everyone in my home is asleep.

How many crime novels have you written?

The Doll Collector is my first novel. I plan on writing a series of novels around Special Detective Beck McManus.

Which is your favourite and why?

My first, I guess.

Where do you get your ideas?

I get my ideas from personal experiences growing up in a crazy New Jersey town (Bayonne), other great works from my favorite authors and real life everyday stories. As mad as it sounds, I have the outlines of the next 5 novels I will write swirling around in my tormented mind.

Who is your favourite character from your own work and why?

My favorite character is my antagonist, Morton Eldiman. He embodies the concept of social conditioning and how monsters are truly created—through systematic physical and mental torture. I put a ton of thought into him.

Which character from the work of others do you wish you’d invented and why?

I truly wish I invented Hannibal Lecter of the famed Thomas Harris novels. Lecter is such a complex, well thought out villain. His paralyzing demeanor always rattled me.

If you could have been someone from history involved in crime (good or bad) who would that be and why?

Wow, great question. Don’t judge me but I have to say I would love to see life through the eyes of Jack the Ripper. Not necessarily the point of view of gruesome murders per say, but to witness England during such a pivotal time in history.  A hundred and twenty years later, the most infamous serial killer in history is still relevant.

What are you working on now?

I am currently writing a follow up novel entitled Wolf Moon. It expands across the pond and pulls in some great new characters. It’s a bit more complex than the first novel but doesn’t lose pace.

Bio
Ed grew up in Bayonne, NJ— a neighborhood that was more impressed with how far you could hit a stickball rather than how creative you could be. Luckily, he was cognizant of the ‘signs’ his higher power set forth and he began his journey.  Ed has enjoyed a successful sales career for over a decade which helped mold a tenacious, never back down attitude towards his true passion— writing. 

Ed and his wife, Maria, have two children; Jack and Lily.  They reside in Spring Lake, NJ. Ed is a graduate of Castelton State College where, in 1995, he received his Bachelor of Science degree. Ed is also a proud graduate of St. Peter’s Prep of Jersey City, NJ.


No comments: