Wednesday, 26 March 2014

Ten facts about … Charles Prandy

When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?
I think I’ve always wanted to be a writer in some way or another. But it wasn’t until I was in my early thirties that I decided to sit down and write my first novel. Technology has made being a novelist more obtainable.

How long does it take you to write a book?
Anywhere from five to six months. I’m not yet a full-time writer, so I usually can only write at night when everyone’s asleep. Hopefully when I become a full-time writer I’ll move it up to four months.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
During the week I’m usually sitting at the kitchen table writing for a couple of hours at night when everyone’s asleep. On the weekends I like to go to Starbucks and write for a few hours. Something about the coffee smell in Starbucks gets my creative juices flowing.

How many crime novels have you written?
I’ve written two which are a part of the Detective Jacob Hayden series. Jacob is a homicide detective working for the D.C. police department.

Which is your favourite and why?
Kind of hard to say. I like them both. But I guess I like the second book, Behind the Closed Door, a little better. As a writer you should become a better storyteller with each book, and I believe it reflects in, Behind the Closed Door. I don’t really read reviews, but I see comments that people make and they seem to really love it.

Where do you get your ideas?
They can come from anywhere and everywhere. Sometimes I see someone doing something while walking along the sidewalk and I’ll ask myself, I wonder if? Or I’ll be driving in my car with the radio off and just let my thoughts run wild until they land on something that I think could be interesting. One of the great things about having a smart phone is that I can use the voice recorded app whenever an idea pops in my head. It could be something like, think about why the sky is blue. And at some later point I’ll play back the recordings and see if anything sounds interesting.

Who is your favourite character from your own work and why?
It’d have to be Jacob. He’s a likeable guy. I didn’t want him to be a bigger than life detective that’s often portrayed in the movies. I try to make him as real and believable as possible. He’s not going to win every fight or figure out the crime on his first try. But he believes in justice and will continue investigating until the crime is solved.

Which character from the work of others do you wish you’d invented and why?
I actually like the Donovan Creed character from John Locke’s novels. I like how John Locke made Donovan Creed humorous and witty, but also tough and nimble for a guy of his size.

If you could have been someone from history involved in crime (good or bad) who would that be and why?
Probably Albert Einstein because hopefully he would have been smart enough not to get caught at whatever crime he committed.

What are you working on now?
I’m currently working on the third book in the series entitled, The Game of Life or Death. In this book Jacob has to solve the murders of a family that he’s known since he was a kid. Through his investigation he’ll learn that the father of the family was not the man he’d known nearly his whole life. And, Jacob will finally come face to face with the man who’s been sending him threatening letters, a man known only as, The Game.

Bio
Charles graduated from the University of Maryland University College with a degree in Legal Studies. He attended Wesley Theological Seminary for two years, and it was there that he got the idea to write his first novel, The Last of the Descendants, which was published in May of 2008. Charles enjoys writing crime thrillers and does extensive research on his topics.

List of Books:
The Last of the Descendants
The Avenged
Behind the Closed Door
The Game of Life or Death (April 2014)








No comments: