Thursday, 19 September 2013

Ten facts about ... Jimmy Bain



When did you first realise you wanted to be a writer?
I always enjoyed English literature at school. After university I worked in a pub for short time and decided to write a rant about some of the customers. Then when I finished a postgraduate course in the mid-1990s and found myself job searching with plenty of time on my hands, I started to formulate the characters for The Bumble’s End. I’ve been writing off and on ever since.

How long does it take you to write a book?
Usually several years. Polish and re-polish. And procrastinate! I’m hopeful that the next one won’t take as long though.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
It can be difficult getting the motivation sometimes – work, life etc. When I do sit down it can be intensive. So far it’s been a series of long writing sessions with long gaps between. But all that’s going to change for the next one as I hope to be more disciplined in my approach. 

How many crime novels have you written?
Two so far: The Bumble’s End and this new one, The Long Drop Goodbye, both of which feature the same characters – The Bumble, the unnamed Narrator, Charlie and Priscilla.

Which is your favourite and why? 
Both – how can I possibly choose? Of course, the next one, now in the pipeline, may turn out to be my favourite.

Where do you get your ideas?
From life. Sitting on a bus listening to conversations. Experiences at work and in temporary jobs. My family background and the people of the Clyde. Many of my characters and situations are (loosely) based on real life – but with the names changed to protect the guilty!
 
Who is your favourite character from your own work and why?
The Bumble. He’s gross, badly dressed and totally non-pc but quite convinced of his own worth and charm. Nothing bothers him.


Which character from the work of others do you wish you’d invented and why?  
Philip Marlowe – the great character created by Raymond Chandler. It’s the combination of wisecracks and style that make him so compelling. Marlowe drifts between the good and the bad with consummate ease. 

If you could have been someone from history involved in crime (good or bad) who would that be and why? 
Wyatt Earp – he too drifted between the good and the bad with ease.  He also dressed stylishly and had a moustache.

What are you working on now?
The next Bumble book – The Bumble on Beale Street. It’s partly set in Memphis, Tennessee and is about Elvis impersonators.

Bio:  Jimmy Bain hails from Greenock, Scotland but lived mainly in Edinburgh. Jimmy is a long-time fan of Raymond Chandler and Elvis Presley. He got married at the gates of Graceland and now lives in Newcastle with his wife, writer Barbara Scott Emmett and his tortoiseshell cat, Gizzie.

Published work: 
The Bumble's End - Crime - A tale of greed, death and toffees.
The Long Drop Goodbye  - Crime - Tans, Tossers and Trannies!  http://authl.it/B00F433IES/?d
Both available at Amazon and other online stores
Twitter @TheBumble



1 comment:

JimmyBain said...

Thanks for interviewing me! Sorry this is a bit late.

Jimmy